Dr. Karolia is passionate about hormone treatment and nutrition as well, which all form part of Wellness. As he believes, “The art of practicing Wellness will allow you to shine from your innermost being!”
Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy for women (BIHRT)
By replacing the hormones that decline over time, we can sustain our health and promote longevity. Simply put, the idea behind bio-identical hormones is to replace the hormones of which the body is producing less, not to substitute them with something foreign.
Dr. Karolia provides bio-identical hormone replacement therapy as pioneered by Dr. Jonathon Wright. Bioidenticals are hormones that have the same chemical structure as the hormones in your body and are therefore easier to metabolise and less likely to cause an adverse reaction. They often originate from plants like yams or soy and are processed in a lab and manufactured into a tablet, a gel or a patch.
Natural Female Hormone Therapy is a safer alternative to the synthetic hormones produced by pharmaceutical companies. BIHRT assists aging women to safely restore their youthful hormone balance without resorting to side effect-prone prescription drugs. It is also suitable for younger women who suffer from fluctuating menstrual cycles (i.e. heavy or light menstrual cycles and who experience painful cramps). BIHRT uses natural hormones and in conjunction with regular blood testing, enables women to develop an individualised hormone replacement regimen that contains low dosages and consequently, is safe and effective.
BIHRT advocates the use of natural means to restore the body’s hormone balance. Dr Wright argues that “bio-identical hormones are superior to patentable drugs because they are exact copies of what the body produces. They work better than the deformed, inexact copies that are required to get a patent.”
BIHRT replaces hormones according to the following hierarchy: first the adrenal glands are balanced, next the sex hormones, then the thyroid and lastly, the growth hormone.
Benefits of BIHRT:
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease
- Slows done the aging process
- Maximises your quality of life
- Helps relieve chronic fatigue syndrome, bone mineral loss and sexual dysfunction
- Natural progesterone stimulates new bone formation by increasing osteoblast activity which helps to prevent osteoporosis
- Studies have shown that topical progesterone creams effectively combat aspects of the aging process
- Bio-identical progesterone has also been shown to reduce the incidence of breast cancer
- Estriol, the safest form of oestrogen, in conjunction with balanced levels of other hormones, can produce significant relief from menopausal symptoms without the dangers inherent in traditional “solutions” to the problem.
DHEA Replacement therapy
- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is another hormone that declines during the aging process. Youthful levels begin to decline around the age of 30 and most women have a deficiency by the age of 40.
- Deficiencies of DHEA have been linked to numerous age-related conditions such as chronic inflammation, immune dysfunction, depression, rheumatoid arthritis, increased risk for certain cancers, excess body fat, cognitive decline, osteoporosis and some complications of type 2 diabetes.
- Although the benefits of DHEA replacement therapy are not recognised by mainstream medicine, studies have shown that DHEA is an important component in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
- DHEA’s ability to reduce inflammation makes it safer and more effective in the long run.
- Additional benefits of DHEA include the prevention of abnormal blood platelet accumulation, improved mood and libido and increased skin protection against environmental contaminants.
- Testosterone is essential to women as it is important for maintaining sexual interest and function and provides many other health-enhancing benefits.
- Testosterone is therefore an important part of a hormone replacement programme for women as it promotes bone development and muscular strength while improving the libido and fighting cancer.
- Women with congestive heart failure have also found that testosterone increases cardiac strength.
It is evident that bio-identical hormone replacement therapy is far more advantageous than using synthetic HRT. Dr. Wright’s BIHRT enables women to prolong the quality of their lives by replacing the natural hormones that their youthful bodies produced in abundance. Hormone replacement coupled with a sound supplement regimen and a sensible diet and lifestyle allows women to maximise their longevity and to be healthy enough to enjoy it.
“After one day on bioidentical estrogen, I felt the veil lift,” Oprah Winfrey writes. “After three days, the sky was bluer, my brain was no longer fuzzy, my memory was sharper. I was literally singing and had a skip in my step.“